Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Random Thoughts

1. Been meaning to point this out for a while now (and it may be old news to some), but check out Mike Parkinson's Year One webcomic. It's cute and snarky at the same time! Recommended.

2. I unforgivably left out Action Comics from last week's reviews. I thought it was excellent; remember my Superman post in which I and others thought that focusing on Clark Kent was the way to go? It's like DC read it and said, "Aw, Chris, we're sorry. Here's exactly what you asked for, and to make up for lost time, we know you like Green Lantern and Hawkgirl, so we'll throw them in too! We love you, Chris!"

3. Also, I finally got around to reading Marvel's Annihilation: Prologue. I confess it was much better than I thought it would be; I enjoyed the sweeping nature of the galaxy-hopping, and the sense of impending doom. I also fess up to being intrigued by the notion of the Nova Corps, even if it is a Green Lantern Corps knockoff (or seems to be at this point, anyway; I don't know squat about Nova except that he's got the giggle-worthy name Dick Rider). I'm sufficiently intrigued to pick up the Nova and Ronan #1 issues. At some point though I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that I don't care for Scott Kolins' art, even though I really want to like it.

4. I also pulled Dan Slott's Thing (HELLO!) #1 and found it a pleasant piece of comic candy. Not too sure I'm onboard for the long haul (then again, neither is Marvel), but I'll get #2 when I go back to the comic shop.

5. Does anyone else get all nervous when their favorite character is a centerpiece of a big mega-event? Iron Man will be front and center for Civil War, and it scares the hell out of me. Mainly because if they make him look stupid I'm going to take it personally, which is Sign #244 that I'm Taking Comics Too Seriously.

6. Speaking of Iron Man, I really wish they'd do something about his current armor. He tends to look like a lobster.

7. Finally, if you're wondering about the new Alpha Flight series, Rich Johnston's Lying In The Gutters has the scoop. If the rumor is true, then it strikes me as both mildly interesting and patently ridiculous at the same time. Watch your toes, because the Mark Millar Political Anvils will start falling any day now.

5 Comments:

Blogger thekelvingreen said...

Yeah, I ended up quite liking Annihilation too, although I was really disappointed that the enemy was Annihilus (although the title makes it obvious). I was hoping that due to weird time dilation effects from the Swirly Thing the Idiotati chucked him through, the Hulk had managed to conquer an entire galactic empire and was coming back at the head of it to get his revenge on Reed and Tony and the gang. And he'd be justifiably angry too.

Don't tell me that wouldn't be a better story.

And yeah, I really don't get the fuss about Kolins. His art looks ugly to me. Oh well.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Jake said...

If you think Dick Rider is a funny name, you should read the Superman Family Showcase.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Randy said...

I think that would make for a fine story. GO Hulk!

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Alpha Flight thing strikes me as something that will either be fantastically entertaining or fantastically stupid, which is often the case with Millar's political anvil projects. I say this as someone who stands pretty far to the left of Millar politically, but man, that guy just doesn't do subtle.

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey thanks for the Year One mention! We are in the midle of a riff of the original Galactus storyline at the moment so it may be not be the most accessible but hopefully any strip is a good jump on point!
Its mostly just one shot gag stuff most fo the time anyway..
Anyway - Thanks! Appreciate it!

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home