Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Jake's Buy List

Huge week and not just because of the new stuff:

Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis #41 - Too early to judge after just one issue, but I have faith in Busiek. My only complaint is the Arthur Curry in this story is supposed to be in his early 20s or late teens and Butch Guice draws him looking about 35.

Detective Comics #818 - The first two issues gave us a fairly standard, old school Batman story. This should be the issue that tells us whether it's going somewhere or not.

Ex Machina #19 - Brian K. Vaughn has avoided the temptation to drop social commentary anvils on this story arc so far, but I can't help but feel they are still hovering over my head. I want him to pull this off.

Jonah Hex #6 - Last issue's art was terrible, especially considering Luke Ross's art to this point has him on my "must remember for Best Interior Art of 2006" list.

Planetary #25 - As we near the end of the series, Ellis just might start making some sense of all this. Even if he doesn't, it's a dose of Cassaday art.

Y the Last Man #44 - For the last month, I've been mulling it over and I can't figure out what the resolution of last month's cliffhanger final splash page could be that won't disappoint me. If a lot of other men are still alive, I'll be disappointed it hasn't come up previously; if women are dressing in drag or undergoing sex changes, I'll feel like that final splash was much ado about nothing.

Punisher #32 - This should be good now that we've gotten through the standard "first issue of the story arc." You know how it goes. Mobsters discuss how bad business is, blame is placed on Punisher, plan is devised to kill Punisher, new ultimate threat to Punisher (in this case Barracuda) is introduced in last page. Formulaic though it may be, I loves me some Garth Ennis Punisher.

Moon Knight #1 - I'll give it at least one issue. My only Moon Knight experience was the late-80's/early-90's version and that was only because I was a stupid 14 year old who bought everything in which Punisher guest starred. Randy loves the character and I've heard cool things, but they sure didn't come out in that series.

Plus Robert grabbed me the last issues of Action Comics and Superman and is lending me his copies of Green Lantern and Brubaker's Captain America issues so I can see what the big deal is with both. Also, someone traded in the first three Fantastic Four Marvel Essentials as part of a collection, so I'm getting them for less than half price.

2 Comments:

Blogger Randy said...

As for Moon Knight in the 90's, Marvel tried to make him a super hero and playing with the big boys. That ain't him.
Vol.1 --Moench kept him as a street-level hero, which is what MK really is, and he kept to that formula.
Vol 1 is really the only version of MK worth buying. Daredevil and Dr. Strange were his only real guest stars.
However, he was very good in the Marvel Knights run too.

Until now that is, hopefully.

7:12 AM  
Blogger thekelvingreen said...

See my comment on Randy's post for my thoughts on the new MK. Or go to Sunday's reviews on SBC. Whichever. :)

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home