Thursday, March 30, 2006

Jumbo Jones

Earlier this week, Chris discussed the Essential Avengers, Volume 5. One of the topics was how funny it is to see how dated some of the dialogue can be.

Today, I picked up Showcase Presents: Superman Family and am convinced it could be the greatest book ever published. I haven't laughed out loud like this at a book since the last Onion archive. Much of it is dated--why don't more people punctuate their sentences with "see?" like mobsters? ("I'm getting hungry, see? Why don't you tell me what we're going to have for dinner, see?")--but some of it is more subtle than others. This one really made me think about how things have changed since 1954.Jumbo weighs two hundred pounds? Between the hormones in milk and meat and the chronic obesity in this country, by 2006, a guy who weighs 200 pounds is named "Slim," not "Jumbo."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're not accounting for inflation. 200 pounds back then would be like 500 pounds now.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Ragnell said...

Whoa, you and I used the same exact Panel from that huge Showcase volume.

Of course, we went for two very different jokes.

4:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home