Monday, March 27, 2006

*Knock Knock* "Housekeeping!"

2GBC took a long weekend, which is why you haven't seen anything new since Thursday. Some housekeeping notes:

- Stupid Bank Account Elves have blocked my comics acquisitions from last week. Which sucks, because I've got a pantload of books waiting for me. Grrr.

- For those of you who've read Hawkgirl, the DC website preview links to a PDF document that purports to be the Stonechat Museum Flood Recovery Report. I don't know what the value of it is, but it's mildly interesting.

- I was talked off the ledge re: the X-men gamebook. I wrote it, showed it to some people, and the answer universally was "too long". So it's going on the shelf indefinitely. I'll pull it out at some point.

- Apparently, there's an uproar over a depiction of Wolverine smoking a cigar, which goes against Quesada's policy of "no smoking in front of the kids". Either that or there's an uproar over the policy itself, which apparently Joey Q felt the need to defend in length over here at Newsarama. I'm not sure what the big deal is here.

- Reading through Essential Moon Knight. Loving it. I take exception with those who call it a Marvel-ized Batman, though so far I've only read the Essential issues. He actually strikes me as a Marvel-ized Green Arrow.

- Randy was kind enough to let me read a few of his comics from last week, so I'll get thoughts on those up in the near future.

More later!

5 Comments:

Blogger Jake said...

Speaking as someone whose posts are universally "too long," I say split it into two or three parts if necessary. Face it, when I review a stupid comic from 1982, it takes longer to read the review than it would to read the comic.

On that note, I'm going to go back to writing about the sequel to Superman in The Computers that Saved Metropolis: Starring the TRS-80 Computer Whiz Kids

1:17 PM  
Blogger Randy said...

Shut up Joe Q.
Yet we can see Wolverine drinking beer at the "Not" Avengers coming out party in I think Ish 15/16? Beer causes alchoholism, which "can" lead to other things. That must not be bad then.

Super Heroes are prone to violence. Which leads to kids practicing violence. That must not be bad then.

Shut up you big nancy and let 'em draw Wolvie with a cigar. Its his history.
Let it be.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Harvey Jerkwater said...

Reading the Essential Moon Knight, I thought that he was mostly a Marvel version of the Shadow: multiple identities, agents everywhere, little hesitation to kill, stuff like that.

It was cool to see how they farted around with him, trying out different ideas, until they settled into the Khonshu idea, wasn't it? Looked to me like his original idea was to be like Blade, but for werewolves instead of vampires.

I'm like Blade, but for donuts.

"It's Harvey, the Donut Slayer! Eek!"

4:17 PM  
Blogger thekelvingreen said...

To be fair (and he deserves credit for not mentioning this), Joey Q's dad died of lung cancer caused by smoking, and that's why he doesn't want it appearing in Marvel comics while he's in charge, although we've had two slip-ups in recent weeks (Spider-Woman is the other, in Ms Marvel).

I can understand that. And I could understand if he were upset at the breach of "policy", but I don't see why anyone else should be, as they don't have that personal factor JQ does.

As he says, the policy has been in place for years (see the second or third page of Morrison's first New X Men issue to see Morrison making a joke about Wolverine "smoking"), and people are only complaining about it when there's been a slip-up? Weird.

But it's Newsarama, and the Newsarama boards just aren't the same without an inane shitstorm, so I can't say I'm surprised.

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's all right for bad guys to smoke? What kind of a double-standard is that? Are we telling kids that if you die from lung cancer that you were a bad guy and deserved to die?

It just seems weird that J. Jonah Jameson, Thing and Wolverine can't enjoy the occasional cigar anymore. At the upcoming Thing poker tournament, he should be wearing one of those green visors with a trail of smoke coming from the cigar in his mouth. There's nothing wrong with enjoying a fine cigar every once in a while. Chain smoking cigarettes is something different, but I don't think I've ever seen that in a Marvel comic.

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home