Tuesday, March 14, 2006

20 Things I Believe

Let's talk about me!

And so, in a ridiculously lengthy post, I now present 20 Things I Believe.

1. I believe that I loves the superheroes. I'm not ashamed of it. I may be singlehandedly killing comics, but dammit, the conversation about why I love comics begins and ends with superheroes.

2. I believe that I likes the mysteries, too. I'm a huge fan of detective fiction in general, and when I find a good, atmospheric mystery comic it's like chocolate and peanut butter to me. This explains my irrational love for Fell, and my completely rational love for X-Factor.

3. I believe that Marvel and DC are not evil monsters preying on the memories of our childhood in an effort to make a quick buck and reach out to an increasingly unrecognizable audience. Well, DC is. (HAR!) No, seriously, they're just companies doing what they've always done, sell funnybooks.

4. I believe that Gene Colan is the single greatest comic artist who ever lived.

5. I believe that Kurt Busiek, if he hasn't already, should go down in history as one of the greatest modern comic writers ever. (Note: This is NOT shameless pandering to get Kurt Busiek to check out the blog. Although I'm certainly not above having "Kurt Busiek Month" here at 2GBC, if you know what I'm saying. Hi, Kurt!)

6. I believe that writing a good 12-issue run on a comic is ten times harder than writing a novel, a play, a screenplay, or biography.

7. I believe that the comicsblogoweb is a catered buffet for comics fans, with something for everyone. And that's the beauty of it. Plus, it's free! Who doesn't like free?

8. I believe that not having a scanner makes me a lame, retarded stepson in the world of comics blogging. I so need a scanner.

9. I believe that my wife has the patience of Job for not just tolerating, but understanding this particular hobby of mine.

10. I believe that I want no part of webcomics from the Big Two; I want flimsy 32-page floppies with a few garish ads and letters pages so that when I look at them 10 years from now I can be transported back to the halcyon days of 2005, when --- gasp! --- a movie about the Fantastic Four was about to hit the big screen!

11. I believe that one day I'll publish second editions of all the features on the blog I so arrogantly subtitled, "Vol. 1".

12. I believe that the June issue of Solo featuring Sergio Aragones and Mark Evanier will be excellent.

13. I believe that X3, V for Vendetta, and Superman Returns will all be better than expected.

14. I believe that in retrospect the Spider-Man movies are a tad overrated and quite frankly, depressing. They need a bit of joy and a few smiles here and there to make them more enjoyable. I don't remember the comic being that wall-to-wall mopey ALL the time, the way the movies are. Then again, maybe this is why I've never been a huge Spider-Fan.

15. I believe that everyone has a Guilty Pleasure Comic that they love strictly for nostalgic or other purposes, and that mine is ROM:Spaceknight. I've been buying all the back issues I can find in the hopes of assembling the collected series. (And yes, they're usually in the quarter box.)

16. I believe that Batman, Sue Richards, Green Lantern, Dr. Strange, Hawkman, Thor, Wonder Woman, and Iron Man are just ridiculously kewl characters. (Again, I'm well aware that I'm singlehandedly killing comics. I don't care.)

17. I believe that I'll enjoy attending my first ever con this summer.

18. I believe that reading comics doesn't necessarily make me smarter, but it does make me happier.

19. I believe that I will never like manga, and that doesn't make me a bad person. I just can't stand the big eyes. And the reading right-to-left. But mostly it's the big eyes. If someone can nominate a manga I might like given what you know about my tastes, I MIGHT be willing to MAYBE think about TRYING it. But chances aren't good.

20. I don't care for Paul Pope's art one bit. This is considered heresy, from what I understand. And I'm OK with that.

7 Comments:

Blogger Randy said...

I like Kurt Busiek alot. He GETS the Avengers.

I don't buy Solo. or Fell. I never plan to.

That's alright on not liking Paul Pope. I can't stand Frank Quitely or Joshua Middleton, and everyone seems to think that they are the bomb.

My word verification started with: KFC. LOL

8:08 AM  
Blogger Guy LeCharles Gonzalez said...

4. I believe that Gene Colan is the single greatest comic artist who ever lived.

Check out the new Back Issue. Some great Colan artwork featured in it.

6. I believe that writing a good 12-issue run on a comic is ten times harder than writing a novel, a play, a screenplay, or biography.

Totally agree.

15. I believe that everyone has a Guilty Pleasure Comic that they love strictly for nostalgic or other purposes, and that mine is ROM:Spaceknight.

I picked up three sets of The Saga of Crystar, Crystal Warrior 11-issue run on eBay last year! Wasn't quite the pleasure I remembered, the nostalgic hit was worth it.

9:16 AM  
Blogger CalvinPitt said...

I'm with randy, I don't get Frank Quitely either. And if Paul Pope did that cover for Batman:Year100, then I can't say I like him either.

Don't sweat the scanner, I don't have one either. Of course, I have to get a larger desk to hold a scanner before I can buy one.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Jake said...

I believe that the June issue of Solo featuring Sergio Aragones and Mark Evanier... defeats the purpose of a book called "Solo."

I know other artists have brought in writers for their issues, and I didn't like that either. Sure, some artists can't write. For many English is a second language, and others don't speak English at all. It's not that I oppose putting a good writer on to make sure the best quality product comes out, just don't call it "Solo."

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe…

Busiek absolutely rocks, and not just because he has totally kewl first name.

Having no scanner doesn’t make you retarded, but we do talk about you a lot when you’re not around.

My wife is of the same patient persuasion. They should start a club. And get shirts.

I agree with Randy about Solo…and yet will probably like the Evanier/Aragones issue better than any of the others so far. (And there have been a couple of good ones).

My guilty pleasure is really expensive beer. But I read comics while I’m drinking it.

You might find Lone Wolf and Cub worth your while – it’s not new, and I'm not sure if it's officially considered manga, but its pretty darn good stuff and no big eyes either.

And finally, I believe you might have started a meme had you kept your list to 20 items or less. 30 is too much work.

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely and utterly agree with your assessment of Gene Colan. Tomb of Dracula, Dr. Strange, and Howard the Duck are among the best illustrated comics I've ever read. If you do not have, or are not aware of the following, they are worth seeking out:

-the first Guardians of the Galaxy story: I don't remember the comic it was in, but I bought a cheap '70s reprint (I *think* it was called "Astonishing Tales"), and its gorgeous (although the inking could have been better).

-"Stewart the Rat:" written by Steve Gerber, reprinted in a thick floppy a few years ago. Colan & Palmer circa 1980, teamed with caustic Gerber post-"Howard the Duck." I believe this was a favorite of both writer and artists.

-"Gene Colan Annual: Painting with Pencils:" an art showcase book with some interviews. Lots of previously unpublished comissions.

-Escapist #2: A Gene Colan Escapist story "from the '70s." This may be my favorite recent-Colan- the reproduction of his pencils, and the color work, are top notch. As a bonus, that issue featured a story from my other favorite artist, Bill Sienkiewicz.

- Daredevil 368 (?- I don't have the exact issue in front of me)& Minus 1: Of the Daredevil comics that Colan drew in the '90s, these were the best.

6:23 AM  
Blogger Zipdot said...

I have several full sets of mint Rom Spaceknight comics. I'd be willing to sell you all you are missing to complete your set.

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home