Monday, March 06, 2006

Chris Overreacts

So, I never got to finish my thoughts on Superman, mainly because the weekend intervened -- as did a variety of medical issues that had to be dealt with. So that's coming later this week, assuming the laptop doesn't crap out on me.

For now, allow me to blow something way out of proportion and take something way too seriously.

I want to take a moment to respond to a commenter on my 3/1 Reviews post, who mentioned that it was hard to take me seriously when I don't even know the plot of Ultimates 2.

As I mentioned before, I understand that I'm clearly in the minority when it comes to not liking Ultimates 2, and I'm OK with that. I won't go over the reasons again, because they're all laid out in this post and its comments.

(But really, Ultimate Hawkeye = Bullseye? Even in a fighter jet? Come on.)

Anyhoo.

I believe the comment about me not knowing the plot was made because I had forgotten that Ultimate Tony Stark had cancer.

Mea culpa.

I still think it's a silly idea (really, what was wrong with the "billionaire wants to change the world" motivation?) , and it's not been a plot point used in any capacity (other than to justify the equally silly idea that Stark would propose marriage), so I don't feel terribly bad about selectively forgetting it. :-)

But it got me thinking that the only credibility any of us have here on the blogosphere is our body of written work, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't taken aback at the "hard to take you seriously" statement.

There are a thousand reasons not to take me seriously. Don't take me seriously because I refuse to wear collared shirts, write parodies of comic book characters, have a large collection of pirate memorabilia, or think that AC/DC's "Girl's Got Rhythm" is one of the greatest songs ever.

But let it never be said that I don't read the comics I review, because now you're talking about integrity, and I take that very personally.

I assure you, I have read every issue of Tom Clancy's Avengers thus far, and I stand by my statement that this last issue was boring filler, introducing the Ultimate Masters of Evil, or whatever the Liberators are supposed to be. But I won't bore again you with the reasons I don't like it, because I'm not going to change anyone's mind, nor do I want to.

It's clearly working for a lot of people, and I'm just not one of them. And that's OK.

I also certainly don't bear any ill will against the commenter, because they actually brought up a good point that got me thinking, which is what I hope comments will do in the first place.

I don't know why I'm in a pissy mood about this; it's probably related to the complete lack of sleep I got over the weekend. I promise I'll post something more fun later.

7 Comments:

Blogger Randy said...

I think Ultimate Tony Stark should be a billionaire as the former manager of the super group ABBA and now has to do this because he is near rock bottom emotionally now that ABBA broke up.

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"If You Want Blood (You Got It)" is better.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

I like Randy's suggestion. ABBA rules, by the way.

I certainly hope you didn't BUY the latest issue of Ultimates. If it's bringing you down as much as you say it is, don't spend money on it. That'll show 'em! I don't buy it, so I can't say if it sucks or not. However, I will say that I used to like Millar, but I have a feeling he is beginning to think he's a rock star, which is annoying.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Spencer Carnage said...

Let it be said that I can only take you guys seriously when you have an actual domain name propelling you into the pro circuit of comic book blogging. Right now, you're like the Chaos Comics! while Beaucoupkevin.com and progressiveruin.net are the Big Two. Only then, will I stop reading you at the shop and start buying.

Maybe spring for the trade, depending upon the reviews.

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, it's what we do, call each other out. And I certainly like plenty of books that other people think is ripe ass.
Now get rested so I can make fun of you some more.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Van Doom: True dat. I was in a pissy mood and it just rankled me after a weekend with no sleep. Appreciate the checking in.

Spencer: Chaos Comics! ? C'mon, after 150 posts surely we rate a "Speakeasy" or "Alias" !

12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sure you want to identify yourself with Speakeasy? *gulps*

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home