Monday, February 27, 2006

Jake's Buy Pile

Randy contends this is a poor week for comics, while I have one of my biggest buy lists of the year because several titles--some monthly, some bimonthly, some not on schedule, some on five week schedules or whatever you call it when 10 issues come out per year--are converging on one Wednesday. On top of that, Randy and I only have two titles in common.

Aquaman - Gonna try it because I enjoyed Busiek's Conan, love Guice's art, and think Aquaman is one of those "high on potential" characters. Peter David's run was the only one I've really liked, but I liked it a lot and hope Busiek might be able to do something similar.

Ex Machina - The last issue had a great set up for the anti-war protests and a good cliffhanger ending.

Fallen Angel - Man, I love this story, but the art really bugs me.

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man - I'll be honest. I read Peter David's first three issues of The Other and the second issue of this title by Reggie Hudlin. I haven't read it since and am hoping it's not so bogged down in set up for Civil War and whatever other crossover bullshit Marvel has planned that David has no story to tell and has to just make due with

Jonah Hex - Ain't nuthin' wrong with that.

Punisher - New story arc. The last twelve issues have been two of Frank Castle's best story arcs ever.

Ultimates - Chris dropped it. I'm sticking around through Millar's run, but don't expect me back next "season."

X-Factor - Why do all Peter David's books come out at once? PAD's original run on X-Factor is one of those perfect combinations of artist and artwork. Now he's taken most of the same characters (damn Quicksilver, Havok, and Polaris for actually playing significant roles in other books!) and while going in a different direction making them as good or better.

Y the Last Man - With the end about a year and a half away, things are really moving. Every issue kicks ass, even the ones where I read previews and say, "What? That issue's gonna suck."

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Wow, looks like we're getting some of the same comics for a change. I already had X-Factor, Jonah Hex, and Fallen Angel on my pull list, but I feel obligated to give Aquaman a shot for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

I also had PAD's FNSM targeted, because the story (crazy woman thinks Spider-Man's been stalking her her whole life) sounds right in PAD's wheelhouse.

I feel no such compunction to buy Ultimates, because Thor's going to show up and put everything back to normal at the end anyway.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Randy said...

I am going to give X-Factor a try I think. Madrox bugs the hell out of me (I got very bored with all his "selves" out there in his mini, but Chris gives this book props, you give this book props and fin fang doom gives it props so I am going to give it a go.

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home