Friday, May 12, 2006

Warning: Contains Irony

So I'm bitter, because I just got finished with One Of Those Conversations.

You know, the one where a misguided co-worker/friend/relative/passerby walks up and makes some vaguely condescending remark about how you read comics. And I had to remind myself to be patient, everything will be OK, because they Just. Don't. Get. It.

And now, as a public service, I present to you, comicsblogoweb, a useful paragraph to refute the next person who dares deride, chide, or generally make fun of you for reading comics.

"You know what, Mr./Mrs. 'Comics Are Stupid' Person? You're absolutely right."

"I mean, it's all stories about people running around in their underwear, fer cryin' out loud! Comics used to be for kids, but now they're all way too adult and violent. And the ones that aren't violent are childish and boring. "

"Besides, nowadays you can't get comics like they used to be. You just don't get the fun, cheesy escapist pleasure in them anymore---and besides, they're too expensive! At those prices, I want something a little more thought-provoking or educational. Or at least grown-up. And is it asking too much for something different than superheroes?"

"And who wants to wait a whole month between issues? Besides, I'd need to catch up on 40 years of backstory to even understand what's going on. I'm not even sure where I'd go to find that stuff out. Heck, for that matter, I have no idea where you even buy comics these days. "

"Man, forget comics. I'll just watch some TV or go see a movie instead."

Have a great weekend, everybody!

9 Comments:

Blogger Steven said...

Excellent.

And you didn't fall back on any of the obvious titles either.

Bravo.

10:53 PM  
Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

Funny! Cheesy= Nextwave and Escapist=The Adventures of the Escapist!

Thx for the Blog Legion mention!

By the way, where is Randy?

5:43 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Randy has been laid up with Sumatran Death Virus v2.0, but should make a return to blogging next week.

(I hope he does, anyway. I'm fairly certain people round these parts are getting tired of hearing just me.)

7:10 PM  
Blogger joncormier said...

Weird, I had a similar conversation on Saturday night. I convinced him to read some Ex Machina and tell me there isn't a comic he'd be interested in. The guy is a politics junky. I got a call on Sunday asking if I had more.

The conversion begins NOW!

5:28 AM  
Blogger Cap'n Neurotic said...

Ah, yes, One Of Those Conversations. One of my old bosses used to take swipes at me all the time because of my comic geekdom. Of course, this was the same woman who couldn't seem to grasp the difference between "serious" me and "joking" me, and would treat every joke I made as if it were a serious suggestion. Oh, and I was the only person in the office that she never made a birthday cake for; or am I just being petty now?

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great. Thanks for that, it made me feel much better about my comic geekery (if thats a word).

11:23 AM  
Blogger Scipio said...

VERY nicely done.

Bravo.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Mark W. Hale said...

But... but I can't speak in hyperlinks!

10:11 AM  
Blogger Mickle said...

"But... but I can't speak in hyperlinks!"

And yet....there are so many times I really wish I could.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home