Monday, May 01, 2006

News Mining On A Monday

---The early reviews on Civil War #1 are mostly positive, with the "Best Shots" crew at Newsarama overpraising wildly, because that's what they do. Seriously, I can't remember the last time those folks didn't like a comic. And yes, 2GBC will be checking in with their reviews this week, since we get our comics on Wednesdays like mere mortals.

(Oh God...I'm going to buy Civil War. That just hit me. For all the snark and silliness that I have written about it, I am going to fork over my money for it. I am such a loser.)

---Justin Gray has a new ongoing column over at CBR. He and Jimmy Palmiotti are one of the few writing teams that earn "at least two issues" on any new series just because I enjoy their work 9 times out of 10.

---Also over at Joe Fridays on Newsarama, Quesada talks about how Spider-Man being married is a bad, bad thing. I'm inclined to agree, although I also agree with him when he says that Spider-Man being divorced would be 1000% worse.

The only way I see out of this dilemma is to either:

A) retcon it out of existence, (I'm lookin' at you, DC)
B) have her killed (DC, stop it)
C) have her adbducted by Skrulls and presumed dead or something, when in reality she's making new friends and enemies while fighting her way across the cosmos in a galaxy-spanning quest to get back to her husband....hmmm...I may have just written the best Mary Jane story ever. (Apologies to Jake.)

---Is it true that DC heroes aren't allowed to be shown drinking? That's just nonsense if it's true.

---Big OYL feature this week, since we're at least 2 books in on everything now and I can have some kind of coherent opinion instead of the knee-jerk judgments that I usually resort to.

More later.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There needs to be a crossover where MJ & Lois Lane go out in a THELMA & LOUISE-type blaze of glory.
The only reason everybody got hitched was to boost their respective sales a bit; Marriage was another version of a nifty new costume superpower.
Except it's impossible to undo if publishers are paranoid about the backlash surrounding a divorced icon.

(Divorce is admitting you failed, but so what? Peter's still crapping on himself for failing to save Gwen Stacy so what's new).

Kill them off.

I want to speculate about Pete's scenes between panels again w/ Black Cat. Same with Supes and WW.
Let a dirty old man be!

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wasn't Wildcat shown drinking by himself in the JSA Trophy Room in the previous JSA Classified arc?

4:11 PM  
Blogger CalvinPitt said...

See, I have no problem with the marriage, they just need to do something with it. Give Peter and MJ some friends that are their friends, as opposed to friends of Spider-Man and His Wife.

I thought it was Marvel with the no smoking and drinking policy. Which seemed hilarious since Wolverine could hack up 153 ninjas, but couldn't got to a bar and smoke cigars and drink, because it would set a bad example.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Randy said...

Please do not get me started on the "no drinking, no smoking" in comics.
It just makes me mad.
And since I"m still damn sick, I really don't want to be mad.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Ragnell said...

Wasn't there both smoking and drinking in Starman?

I seem to recall Shade did a lot of drugs, too.

3:29 AM  
Blogger Marc Burkhardt said...

Annihilation: Mary Jane. Marvel missed out on the best cosmic cross-over ever!

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home