Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Chris' Short Reviews And Buy List

Randy's down for the count with the Sumatran Death Flu, so unless Jake chimes in then 2GBC will be 1GBC this week.

Also, an in-depth review of Iron Man #7 will be posted Wednesday, because I just have to talk about it. I'm very conflicted about it, but in a good way.

Quick Reviews for a Few Comics I Bought Last Week That Weren't Mentioned In The Previous Post:

CONAN #27 --- Meta-storytelling here, as we're left wondering whether the narrator of all the Conan issues thus far has been telling the Prince the whole unedited truth of the tales. Unfortunately, this particular tale isn't very exciting in the first place, as Busiek's (Hi, Kurt!) run winds down.

FEAR AGENT #1 --- My LCS only had issue one in, and quite frankly I thought this was seven kinds of awesome. Does it get worse? I know it's late as all get out, but damn I really liked the first issue. Seems like Flash Gordon with a drinking problem and a wit. Dig it!

NEXTWAVE #4 --- A priceless origin for The Captain. Lots of exploding. Snarky lines. I love this comic. I really, really do. After last issue's slower pace, this one delivers like a momma rabbit. (That's either the best or worst simile between comic books and reproductive mammals EVER.)

JUSTICE #5 --- Randy was right about this --- I should have waited for the trade. It's not that I mind necessarily, but the story might actually seem like a story if entire seasons didn't go by between issues. I know they told us up front that it would be bimonthly, but man...only 14 months to go!

And here's what I'm pulling this week:

BATMAN #652 --- Feeling good about this. No qualms about this purchase.

CHECKMATE #1 --- Intrigued enough to check out the first issue. I need to see something really outstanding to keep with it, though.

CRISIS AFTERMATH THE BATTLE FOR BLUDHAVEN #2 (OF 6) --- the first issue was just so dang...weird. I still want to see where this is going, even if the endgame is the all-new Freedom Fighters.

HAWKGIRL #51 --- Gotta have my Hawks.

SEVEN SOLDIERS FRANKENSTEIN #4 (OF 4) --- Sad to see this one end.

VILLAINS UNITED INFINITE CRISIS SPECIAL --- Should be a hoot.

GODLAND #10 --- God bless you, Image. Now don't go and cancel this because it's Tuesday, or whatever logic you sometimes use when cancelling otherwise great books.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #531 --- still the only readable "Road to Civil War" book around, and even then it's only because it's mainly exposition. Still, if My Man Tony is going to be front and center, I've gotta see what he's up to.

ANNIHILATION RONAN #1 (OF 4) --- after the pleasant surprise that was Nova, I'm giving this one a shot because it looks like a cool character.

IRON MAN THE INEVITABLE #5 (OF 6) --- Too late for any meaningful plot, but Frazer Irving's nice pictures are still nice.

NEW AVENGERS ANNUAL #1 --- I confess; I'm buying this strictly for comedic purposes. I may break the all-time 2GBC record for Most Snark Directed At One Comic after reading this one.

X-FACTOR #6 --- Nice to see Marvel actually pimpin' the Factor in their other comics, with (admittedly inaccurate) recaps of the last two issues in a sidebar around page 20 or so in several of their non-X titles. (Also, the phrase "pimpin' the Factor" is incredibly fun to say out loud. Try it!)

I almost thought about getting ION #1, but decided that I don't like Kyle Rayner enough to care. Also, ordered the Judge Dredd Case Files vol. 1, collecting Judge Dredd #2-60. It's John Wagner, Alan Grant, Brian Bolland and Judge Dredd. What's not to like?

Iron Man-heavy day Wednesday, timely reviews of what I bought on Thursday, and on Friday a Very Special Episode of 2 Guys Buying Comics.

4 Comments:

Blogger Canton said...

NEW AVENGERS ANNUAL #1 --- I confess; I'm buying this strictly for comedic purposes. I may break the all-time 2GBC record for Most Snark Directed At One Comic after reading this one.

I'm planning to pull that one for the axis of (Potential) Marvel Summer Weddings it completes. Everything comes in threes, right? (Or is it "Nuptuals of three, let it be?" I can never remember.) Whatever. This is a fun three.

But your reason is kinda better.

10:29 AM  
Blogger CalvinPitt said...

You're going to buy new Avengers Annual? Brave man. I'm thinking I'll pass, at most, glance through it, to see the awfulness.

Like you, I've got high hopes for Ronan, having been pleased with Super-Skrull and Nova, and not bothered by Silver Surfer, just not wowed.

I'm almost afraid to say it, but I will: Annihilation might be cool.

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in the semi-fortunate position of not having to pay for New Avengers. A friend of mine, a devoted Bendis fan, lets me read them, and in exchange I explain why they suck. I think he's just buying them to annoy me now.

And I look forward to seeing your thoughts on Iron Man #7. I found it oddly entertaining, myself. And hey, yet another book completely ignoring Secret War!

12:37 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

SpiritGlyph, you will not be disappointed!

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home