Thursday, April 13, 2006

Random Thoughts

1) Thanks to all who checked in for First Comic Week, either with blog posts or in the comments on others' posts. It was pretty cool to read about others' first comic! Plus, Brian Cronin made a good point when he posited, "What if your first comic was Apocalypse vs. Dracula #2, so you grew up with fond memories of that? That would be weird." I can only assume that experiences like that are what create supervillains.

2) I get my first new comics in two weeks tomorrow. It's about friggin' time.

3) My Spidey-sense keeps telling me to start reading Rick Remender's Fear Agent. (The awesome covers don't hurt, either.) Is this a good comic? Because I like reading good comics. The last Remender title I tried was Sea of Red, which was...um...the opposite of good. (At least, that's the conclusion I came to after three issues.)

4) Browsing over the list of Eisner nominees, I noticed two things: 1) I read very little that actually got nominated, which is my own damn fault, and 2) several series/arcs that weren't even finished at the time (Seven Soldiers, Desolation Jones) got nominated for things like "Best Series" and "Best Serialized Story". How does that happen? Is this common practice to just nominate without having seen the ending? These are things I need to know.

5) Amusing Eisner-related note: I was making some remark on the Eisners to a NCRF (Non-Comics Reading Friend), and explained that they were like the Oscars of comics. His immediate reply: "What the hell does Michael Eisner know about comic books?" Which is funny on a couple of different levels.

6) My main problem with the Iron Spider costume is the feet. He looks like he's wearing the world's ugliest pair of wingtips.

7) Although I confess that I'm starting to think "Iron Spider" is actually a pretty cool name, if nothing else.

8) Anyone have an opinion on the Star Wars: Rebellion comic? I haven't read a Star Wars comic in years, but I'm thinking it may be time to try one again. Please, comicsblogoweb, let me know if I'm wrong.

More later!

4 Comments:

Blogger thekelvingreen said...

"Iron Spider" is a cool name, but it belongs to some kind of nutty Japanese hero.

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fear Agent is very good, but it's also very, very late. That's really hurting the story. I think it debuted in October as a monthly and we're still waiting for #4. There's even a rotating art team so this sort of thing wouldn't happen, and they still screwed it up. That's Tony Moore for you, I guess.

4:39 PM  
Blogger thekelvingreen said...

Oh, I've been hearing very good things about the Knights of the Old Republic comic, so that might be worth a look if you want to get back into Star Wars comickery. Haven't read it myself though.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Scotty Ice said...

Great Blog!! I will definately be checking back often.....

www.earthsmightiestblog.blogspot.com

4:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home