Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Welcome to First Comic Week!

Last week I challenged the comicsblogoweb to tell us about your first comic. Now, it doesn't have to be your VERY first, since many of those are dimly remembered at best; it can be your first MEANINGFUL comic, or the first one that got you hooked, or whatever. Let's all share!

I wrote about mine last week. Check the comments for some reader answers (and for a de facto Norm Breyfogle Appreciation Seminar). And Greg from Comics Should Be Good has already answered the call, as has CalvinPitt!

Because I'm contractually obligated to post at least one snarky Civil War item per week, Mark Millar gives an in-depth interview over at Newsarama that's an interesting read. I leave you with this choice quote:

"NRAMA: The fact that you're not an American, don't live here and didn't grow up here, do you think that outsiders perspective is a benefit to tacking issues like these, or a limitation?

MM: I don't think it matters at all. You can write X-Men without being a mutant. You don't have to be a horse to be a vet."

How very, very true. In related news, it was just confirmed that you don't have to be from Germany to be able to speak German, you can make Jell-O without being Bill Cosby, and you can draw cats even if you're a human.

But I digress: let First Comic Week commence!

9 Comments:

Blogger Randy said...

Actually, I have found that I am completely inept and unable to make Jello. However, when I wear my Bill Cosby mask, the Jello making is flawless. I couldn't believe it, but, I still continue it to this day, because it works for me. Of course, that may be all the vodka I mix with the Jello, but anyways, its GREAT!

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, got my first comic up.

3:33 PM  
Blogger CalvinPitt said...

Thank you Mark Millar, master of the obvious.

I still say that he should take lessons in subtlety from Ennis, and the very fact I can say that illustrates his problem, not to mention why Civil War will likely not be very good.

5:09 PM  
Blogger thekelvingreen said...

It took me a while, but I finally put mine up here.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Cap'n Neurotic said...

Got my post up too, although I sort of went overboard. Too . . . much . . . nostalgia. . .

10:16 PM  
Blogger Ragnell said...

Put mine up finally. I reverted to 12-Year-Old Ragnell for it, though.

1:18 AM  
Blogger I. N. J. Culbard said...

Werewolf by Night, issue 13.

And I still have it, sealed in a bag, hidden from natural light, guarded 24/7 by trained ninja squirrels with samurai swords.

Mike Ploog's one of my favourite all time artists. I recently bought Essential Monster of Frankenstein & Essential Werewolf by Night and it's great to have his work in black and white.

-I. N. J. Culbard

http://strangeplanetstories.blogspot.com/

7:38 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Wow! Thanks, everybody!

8:14 AM  
Blogger Jhunt said...

Sneaking in just before the deadline, here's mine.

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home