Friday, July 13, 2007

Thor Hath Returneth

And I could not be happier.
MIA for over two years, it would appear that the Marvel U is long overdue for Mr. God of Thunder.
So, what did I think of the "relaunch" of Thor?

I tell ya what- I rather enjoyed it.
Was it slow? Sure. But I put up with the JLA for six issues, and I am still perusing tortoise-moving Moon Knight.
I was very pleased to see Don Blake. That is a great match. I was pleased to not see someone else "pairing" with Thor.

I also enjoyed the concepts discussed between Thor and Donald Blake. The whole "you are only dead if no one still believes in you" is sensible, and gives some credence for a Thor return.The lambs need tending. And yes, that is regular ol' citizens + the Marvel U heroes. Or are they all Skrulls now? (DUMB DUMB DUMB!!!!!!!!!)

Some may say that the issue was a bit melodramatic. I disagree. The discussion was needed, as Thor seems content to be whittling away his time in the Void. He doesn't need reasons to come back, he needs a purpose to come back.
He has that purpose.

As for the art, Coipel does a fantastic job. I'll say I'm not used to his art, but I love the ruggedness in which Thor is drawn, and damn does he have a great touch on "everyday" people. The hotel clerk is perfect!

The "armor"-- well, it may take some getting used to. Then again, when Thor wasn't in his full battle gear, girded for war, he never really looked...well...godlike? When Thor was sporting his full beard, really decked out in metal, he looked like a truly formidable opponent. The chain mail is just kinda...um...weak? But once again, I"ll give it a chance.

Will I miss the Old English speak? Probably, as it doesn't seem Thorish without it, but I'm going to be fine with it. I can overcome!

I do think this is going to really pick up steam fast, unlike some of JMS's other works. (Spiderman anyone?) Thor is needed. He's going to hopefully get into the fray quickly.
I look forward to at least some of his cast of characters coming back. Sif and Baldur to name a couple. His "response" to Cap's death. And I think its going to take Thor to end the WWH saga. At least I hope it does, and that will mark a triumphant return, in saving the lambs and making people "believe" in him again.

Lets just avoid that whole "Asgard on Earth" thingy again. (Oops, I peeked at the #2 preview. Hrm....)

I added this to my pull list. I think JMS "got it". Coipel sure does.

4 Comments:

Blogger Captain Qwert Jr said...

It was inoffensive.

12:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, somehow I think that the hopes that it's Thor who puts an end to the World War Hulk drama and Hulk's rampage are in vain. The checklist (www.marvel.com/news/comicstories.850) for the event does't mention either Thor or any series that might be logically tied into anything Thor so I think he will sit this one out.

5:14 AM  
Blogger Randy said...

Sigh. Disappointing. But not unexpected from Marvel. Lets hype Sentry, the Suck Man! Snooze.

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thor is one of those characters I really want to like. I dig the Kirby issues and really like the John Romita Jr. comeback issues so I was banking on this being 'my' Thor title.

So far not much has happened but I trust JMS as a writer and Copiel is a very talented artist wasted on House of M, so... let's hope this series works out.

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home