Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Mini-New Joe Mondays Tidbit

From You Know Where:

Q: So why once again the delay for Ultimates 2 #13? Didn't Bryan Hitch complete the pencils in December? And is there any particular reason why it is taking so long to get the inks done? I remember a once proposed January 31st release date, then bumped to March 21st, and now it's been bumped again to April 11th. If that date holds it'll be seven months between issues #12 and 13? Doesn't that seem kind of ridiculous to you? Does the delay have anything to do with the release and timing for Ultimates 3 #1?

JQ: Hey, Sweeps, I can’t publish a book I don’t have.
I don’t know when Bryan announced that the book was finished, but we don’t have the entire thing in house.

Translation:
Has anybody talked to Bryan Hitch in the last 6 months? Is he still mad that I invited Steve McNiven to my place for Thanksgiving this year instead of him? Or that I had my "Bryan" tattoo etched out and replaced with "Steve"? Huh.

Bry and Paul Neary shuffle the pages amongst themselves (as they live close to each other) so it makes it very tough to know at what stage the book is at.

Translation:
I gave up paying attention to this book as soon as Millar mentioned "Civil War" while we were nuzzling over brandy and the sweet, sweet sounds of Alicia Keyes at the writer's retreat.*

Plus they do go back into the work in order to add those extra little details that everyone loves.

Translation:
Oh crap, we still have to get the issue out. Quick, Quesada, Justify-A-Tron-3000 Engines Go!

My understanding is that at this point we’ve seen a good portion of the inks done and coloring has begun, but we don’t have it all and we don’t have a cover for the issue yet as well. So, the truth of the matter is that it’s really a question that you need to ask Bryan as he probably has a beter idea of where everything is than we do.

Translation:
Was that the sound of Quesada throwing Hitch under the bus? Yes, yes it was.

I'm not saying it's not Hitch's fault that Ultimates 2 #13 isn't out yet. It just seems like when it comes to late Millar-scripted projects, Quesada's had his fill (along, I might add, with the rest of us).

Of course, with Joe keeping such tight editorial control over one of the few nigh-universally lauded books of... um... was it last year, or the year before? I forget. Anyway, the sentence "My understanding is that we've seen a good portion...", etc. indicates just how closely Joey Da Q is running things when he's not busy petting Stephen Colbert.

* = I am so, so sorry for that visual.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

While I really don't really care anymore that this book is late. I'm willing to wait until it's done since Hitch's art is so good. I mean, there's no need to rush, Ultimate continuity just ignores the book anyway. However, Joe Q's justification and editorial ignorance just shows how crap he is at his job. No one's really asking him to rush his artists on this one, just to have a clue as to what HIS EMPLOYEES ARE ACTUALLY DOING TO DESERVE THEIR PAYCHECKS.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Jason: exactly. That's the point I was trying to make, is that Quesada consistently acts like every time there's a problem that it's news to him and he has no control over what Marvel creators are doing.

That, and the fact that he seems to be dead serious calling out Hitch on this one.

6:48 PM  
Blogger SallyP said...

So is Jim Shooter still alive? Granted he was a bit of a tryant and all, but at least the trains...urm...the BOOKS came out on time.

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I read...somewhere... that Shooter is going to be writing some books for DC soon.

Don't ask me where I read it.
I'm pretty sure that I wasn't dreaming it, because I wondered if it would be LEGION (what he started with back as a 13 year old lad, iIrc).

~P~
P-TOR

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Anyway, the sentence "My understanding is that we've seen a good portion...", etc. indicates just how closely Joey Da Q is running things when he's not busy petting Stephen Colbert."

LOL! So true. What's this Colbert fetish that's sweeping the industry these days?

8:41 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

I think the fascination with Colbert is just like the Howard Stern love that was happening a few years ago. Joe Q. thinks that if he can get enough time on these mainstream shows, that everyone will start reading Marvel comics. It's similar to the Stephen King thing. Colbert just happens to be the hottest mainstream outlet at the moment (that'll have him on).

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home