Thursday, January 26, 2006

Ten Random Thoughts

1. I may not care much for Michael Turner's bulimic Supergirl, but my inner Zombie cannot wait to get this cover in color. Ignore Millar's senseless hype and Cap's spindly legs. I think it's a great showpiece for kicking off Civil War, unlike the sleepy pastels of House of M.

2. Speaking of Civil War, I am very excited to see Not Bendis writing this event.

3. The other big event, 1985, looks downright awful, though.

4. If you haven't done so lately, go to Newsarama, find any article concerning a DC or Marvel comic, and read the responses. I swear, things haven't changed a bit --- going from the excellent, thoughtful, good-natured community that is the comicsblogoweb to reading Newsarama posts is like going from Shakespeare to this. There are a few who try to discourse rationally over there, but by and large it's "DC pwned Marvel this month, ____!" or "Infanate Crsiis is the ___!"

5. I've got a busy week next week; the Batman Elseworlds piece, a response to Chris Tamarri's analysis of All-Star Batman and Robin, a neat idea that I'm not telling anyone about yet, a couple more Marvel and DC Mailbags, and of course reviews a mile long. Should be fun.

6. Essential Dr. Strange, Vol. 2 is crazy good, even if it does have the silly issues where he changed his costume because Asmodeus stole his visage, so he couldn't get back to his dimension to get the Book of the Vishanti, so Clea and Strange use the Cloak of Levitation to escape the Sons of Satannish, and Nightmare uses the Winds of Watoomb to send Strange to the Dream Dimension, where the Ancient One and Sligguth....See what I mean? Crazy good. Definitely one of my top 5 Essentials.

7. I am not looking forward to getting three copies with variant covers of Red Sonja as per Randy's instructions since he's out of the country and having to explain that they're for "a friend".

8. What in holy hell is this? And how did they get Bart Sears, Bob Layton and Gene Colan, Master Of The Universeā„¢ in on it? I'll be back with a report on this later.

9. I read somewhere that they shot the Hulk into space this week. While on general principles I think it's a fundamentally sound idea that should have been done years ago, I feel the need to ask...how does the Hulk breathe in space?

10. Flash OYL, Wonder Woman OYL, and Batman OYL are three comics I am curious about. The only question left: who's writing Olive OYL? HAR!

OK, I got nothin'.

7 Comments:

Blogger Markus said...

speaking of events, whatever happened to "Planet Hulk"?
I don't read Hulk, and from what I gather, the space thing kicks of that event, but I haven't heard anything about the event itself in a while. In other words, it seems Marvel has gone from "planet Hulk event" to "yes, we still publish Hulk as an ongoing series".

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The only question left: who's writing Olive OYL? HAR!"

I hear that in that comic, Brother PopEye plays a major role.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Well played, Vincent. Well played!

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure why, but the Civil War cover does nothing for me. Maybe I'm just already sure that it'll be another totally unnatural piece of junk that doesn't tie into any of the individual characters.

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh... I don't want to think about Peter David's return to Hulk last year, and how disappointing it was, but...

It was revealed the Hulk did not need to breathe while underwater- I forget why, exactly- so maybe he doesn't need to breathe at all. So he can go into space.

And star in sucky comics.

1:35 PM  
Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

Glad to hear that someone else doesn't dig "the bulemic Supergirl" and is very afraid of newsarama boards. The site is OK.

and how many Red Sonjas does Randy need? Although one can never have enough redheads, right?

8:04 PM  
Blogger thekelvingreen said...

My favourite Newsarama post is the one that, without fail, always appears in the first five or so posts after an article:

"I'm not much for xxxxxx, but this looks sweet/da bomb/da shizznit, so I'll be checking it out."

ELABORATE, YOU INANE FUNTWIT!

As for Marvel's big events, I'm done with them. HoM was shite, and The Udder was shite, and I just have no confidence in them anymore. Especially with Quesada turning up in interviews and saying stuff like "I know I promised to never do variant covers or stupid crossovers again, but to heck with you!"

Bah.

that said, who is writing Civil War? I know Millar keeps going on about it, but is it actually him?

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home