Thursday, November 03, 2005

Maybe one Thought at a Time

So, I'm thinking to myself "When was the last time I did any postings here?" Weeks? Yeah, probably. So, I'll try something new that won't consume three hours a whack. One review. One review a day. Its either that or I ask good ol' GW for 36 hours in a day.

And no spoilers, still. Where is the fun in that. And so, for Randy New Edition Vol 1, I give you:



Seven Soldiers: Bulleteer
Ballistic: How the Bulleteer Began

How about that cover? And how about the opening shot? This whole book is Cleavage 101. Is that a good thing. Well, its certainly not that bad. Better than Al the Plumber. This is truly a "powergirls" issue.

However pretty or distracting you may find Cleavage 101, this was by far the most comprehensible of the Seven Soldiers series. Now don't get me wrong, Mister Miracle was easy to, but its Apokolips. Snooze. Zatanna; some background was very helpful. Manhattan Guardian was a decent read, but it got downright silly. This is a plain old simple good origin issue. Not like Klarion, witch I could not comprehend and it was just bad. Or Shining Knight, which was just boring and needed some kind of punch.

Bulleteer: punch. Is the art as strong in this as some of the others- no. But come on, be real, are ya really looking at the art? Cleavage 101. However, look past Cleavage 101, look past the panties shots (welllll...if you wanna) and it is pretty well drawn. Except for maybe that conehead looking thing on her head. I know, its a "bullet", but it um...kinda looks funny?

The only problem I had with it is that she displays strength. Um, that is not what her "superpower" does. It gives her that super cool shiny hard "bullet" skin. (Not a spoiler- that was a given.)

Of course, I'm generally more about story than art. The only time I will drag down on the art is if it gets in the way of my story, ala Howling Monsters/Commando's. Man, that was bad. I may make little quips on how maybe it could've been better here or there, or how some of it was incredible. Think that piece of crap All Star Batman and Robin. The art is really well done, but the story is utter crap. Fuck you DC. Fuck you Frank Miller. Thank you Jim Lee?

Bulleteer and Mister Miracle have so far been my favorite of the Seven Soldiers, with Zatanna a close third. Looking forward to viewing the Frankenstein that is out soon too.

Overall: Good Book. Did Cleavage 101 help? Not really. Was super to look at of course (I'm not Dead!!) but the origin was not a pain in the ass to suffer through and was a good read. Maybe Cleavage 101 did help some in that capacity. Anyways, for me, 4/5 for this book. I'm thinking maybe they should finally paint a costume on a character. Everyone is going to say it was done anyways.



4 Comments:

Blogger Spencer Carnage said...

They should call this series "9 Soldier Of Victory." Get it?

Ok, that was bad. Thanks for the link and glad to have you guys back.

1:23 PM  
Blogger thekelvingreen said...

I've actually enjoyed Klarion the most so far. The third issue was a bit "huh?" and the fourth a tiny bit "meh", but I loved it. A fun gothic fairytale, I thought.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Randy said...

Mebbe I'll just have to borrow some of the series' from Chris, and keep an open mind. I read the first one and went bleh, and really didn't give it another chance. I probably should. I mean hell, I gave All Star Batman & Robin two chances.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Ragnell said...

Agree, this book was awesome.

But as for superstrength, isn't that, given her primary power of ultra-hard metallic skin, a necessity to move? I'd figure it would come with the powers.

She's basically Steeljack of Astro Ctiy, without the baggage.

(sktyip is neat verification word. Seems like Skytip)(

1:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home