Wednesday, August 08, 2007

A Word About Starlord

I'd just like to say 3 things about Starlord #1, out last week and part of the Annihilation:Conquest series of pre-minis.

1) Keith Giffen really is a fanboy with the will to power, isn't he? How else do you get away with selling Quesada and co. on the idea of a team consisting of Mantis (MANTIS!), Rocket Raccoon, Captain Universe, a Shi'ar, a bug, and a giant tree? I get the feeling that he'd have put ROM in there as well, if stupid Marvel would ever get the license back.

(Side Note: Marvel, if you ever do get ROM:Spaceknight back in action, you should pay Giffen or Busiek howevermany wheelbarrows of cash it takes to get them to write it as an ongoing. We would also accept Jeff Parker or Brian K. Vaughan.)

2) The art is just outstanding, with Timothy Green II doing his best Lee Bermejo impersonation (particularly in the back half of the issue) and managing to make even Rocket Raccoon look intimidating, particularly when firing heavy weapons while standing in the palm of the aforementioned sentient tree.

(Additional Side Note: That's not mean as a backhanded compliment, it's meant as a genuine one.)

3) This crazy misfit team Cosmic Marvel take on the Dirty Dozen might end up being my favorite miniseries of the year, if the humor and plot of the first issue is any indication.

(Son of Additional Side Note: Between Annihilation:Conquest and World War Hulk, Marvel is running two events simultaneously that I'm really liking. We are through the looking glass here, people. Up is down, black is white.)

I guess what I'm saying is, once more, Keith Giffen is just friggin' awesome. Like you didn't already know that.

Annihilation:Conquest is shaping up nicely even at this stage, and if you're a fan of cosmic action or war comics, or comics that are, um, real good, you should at least go back and get the Annihilation:Conquest Prologue one-shot, because it's two shots of 120-proof bitchin'.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

Also, don't forget that said bug is also a Micronaut. Yes, seven different shades of awesome.

I thought the art was more like Seth Fisher's, but that's me. Anyhoo, I love this series and my only concern is for Rocket Raccoon's health. I've loved that little gy since I was a kid.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Jason: Quite right about the Micronaut point. The awesomeness is exponentially increasing.

Also, GREAT point about Seth Fisher, particularly in the faces. I was thinking of the texturing of the uniforms and gear which struck me as really Bermejo-esque.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Ahmad Abu Samah said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:31 PM  
Blogger CalvinPitt said...

I believe you are correct about Giffen being a fanboy. And the best part is, there's no Editor-in-Chief who can stop him in his mad quest to. . . um, give us fun comics with characters that have been criminally underused in recent years? That is his mad scheme, right?

I think part of what's making Marvel's events work for me is that they stand apart. Conquest doesn't touch on World War Hulk, or Endangered Species, so if you aren't interested in those, you don't get saddled with any of it.

Plus, the concepts are pretty simple, which makes it harder to botch.

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm curious to know why Bug is man-size, and not toy-size as he usually was when he came to the 616 universe.

I wonder if that'll be addressed...

Gotta love why he was locked up, too. Always mackin' on the chicks, that Bug.

Bug was always my favorite. I suppose he's being used because he was never part of the toy line.

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home