One Crow, Medium Rare Please!
Let it never be said that Chris Holly is so opinionated and entrenched in his moral and aesthetic values that he is not capable of re-evaluating his opinions of certain pieces of work he has disparaged in the past or certain authors whom he professes to have much disdain for.
I just read Ultimates 2 #12.
Ultimates 2 #12 is exactly 4,354,887 kinds of awesome.
I couldn't figure out where to begin, so we'll just list a few of my favorite moments from this comic.
1. The Hulk punching through Abomination's throat telling him "You think too much".
2. Quicksilver running someone into a melted pile of goo.
3. Iron Man Six blasting the living bejesus out of the baddies.
4. Hank Pym's army of Ultrons.
5. Wasp going all Giant-sized and squooshing the enemy.
6. The two-page splash of the rest of the Ultimate Universe fighting (although it didn't look much like Ultimate Spidey).
7. Scarlet Witch "increas[ing] the probability that someone shows up to kick your ass".
8. Thor representin'.
Was it a perfect comic? No. Does this mean that I liked Ultimates 2 overall? No. But this issue was the fight we've been waiting a year for, and despite a few eye-rollers (the speechifying about prisoner treatment, Cap killing Lightsaber Man --- it would have been ten times more powerful to see him NOT kill the dude, I think, especially as Ultimate Cap), it was big, loud, and total superhero fight porn.
And I'm OK with that.
In fact, Hawkeye comes dangerously close to being written in character, as he gets a few jackassic lines that seem a perfect fit even for the 616 version.
Look, maybe it's just because Millar is botching Civil War so badly and this is just a case of comparative relief (Civil War makes Ultimates 2 seem subtle and nuanced), but I'm not afraid to give praise where praise is due --- Ultimates 2 #12 was massive amounts of fun and very, very well done. I had more out-and-out fun and laughs during this comic than any in recent memory.
(How sick is that?)
Well played, Millar and Hitch. Well played.