Tuesday, September 19, 2006

One-Liner Tuesday

...because I'm in a rotten mood for a variety of reasons. This is something I was thinking about and haven't had time to flesh out my supporting reasons for (and consequently I may be way off base on this one), but dammit, I'm throwing it out there for comment anyway:

Marvel's Ultimate universe and DC's All-Star line would be better served if switched around: the Ultimate universe, with its multiple crossovers and tightly knit "shared" universe, is what DC needs to be effective; the All-Star line, with its focus on single characters telling out-of-continuity stories, is exactly what Marvel needs right now.

(Yes, you people can still have Morrison on Ultimate Superman.)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

NNOOOO!!!! I happen to like the Ultimate Universe just the way it is..could be less Wolverine though. DC should stick to being DC which is...well..crap. Though I think I'm probably the only person on the planet who thinks so.

10:28 AM  
Blogger joncormier said...

Interesting idea but Marvel and DC can be nothing but Marvel and DC. The proof is in the pudding. They both relaunched "new takes on old classics" but ended up with version 1.2 of what they already had instead of version 2.0 (if you get my software vesioning reference).

It's sort of like expecting a seal to act like a killer whale - they simply can't do it.

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope!
Not like Marvel's all that fond of continuity right now anyway. There's a dozen books you can read about Spider-Man, each with their own theme and little world. X-Books, same thing.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Matthew E said...

DC should stick to being DC which is...well..crap. Though I think I'm probably the only person on the planet who thinks so.

Oh, I don't think you are. (There's author Jonathan Lethem, for another example.) It's my subjective impression that DC and Marvel are like the Blue Jays and the Expos, in this sense:

Jays fans tend to like the Expos, or at least not dislike them. Expos fans frequently detest the Blue Jays. (This is from back when the Expos existed, of course.)

DC fans may not care for Marvel, or even outright dislike it, but will rarely dismiss it outright. Much more common is for Marvel fans to completely disregard DC.

Just my impression; I could be way off base here.

6:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bullshit - All-Star Superman is incredible because it's free from continuity.

The Ultimate Universe is an exercise in new world-building, and although the crossovers have been really screwed up they haven't done any real damage to the core titles. And the guest spots between titles have generally been excellent.

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home