Friday, September 08, 2006

5 Random Thoughts

1) So, I've started reading both Y: The Last Man and Fables. I'm three trades into each of them at this point, and clearly Fables has me more interested in the next three, while Y has already run out of steam for me. I can't point to anything specific, but somewhere around the theater troupe issues I started losing interest. Plus, there seems to be a really high "people doing stupid things at the worst possible times for the sake of dramatic tension" quotient.

2) All-Star Batgirl? Umm...really? There's a market for this? Huh. Ahead of All-Star Green Lantern, Flash, Hawkman, or, you know.. wow.

3) Omega Flight? See above.

4) Forgoing my monthly Essential purchase this week in favor of Showcase Presents Batman. This was a no-brainer (on many levels).

5) Finally, had a chance to read the Marvel Adventures: The Avengers series, and man, that is some entertaining comics! Ignore the all-ages label; these are just some fine, fine comics period, with the spirit (and fun) of the Avengers intact. Heck, we even got Ultron in issue #1! Kudos to Jeff Parker and team!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something else to check out, Agents of Atlas, I have read two issues, and I am hooked on this book.

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris-

Item 1: I also came in on "Y" and "Fables" relatively late, but have been able to get all of the new trade paperbacks from my local library. Apparently, there's a "comics guy" who's infiltrated the library system, 'cuz the guy (or girl) gets all the best stuff.

I've found Y to be pretty entertaining, though the language gets a little vulgar for my tastes every now and then. I don't think it occurs to the 20-something hotshots who write some of this stuff than not everyone uses that kind of language in everyday conversation...even ultra-stressed out people like the Y cast. In the later trades, I get the feeling Vaughan was throwing in the anchor a bit and coasting, but things seem to be picking up again (I read volume 7 "Paper Dolls" a few weeks ago)

As for Fables, I'm a really big fan. I read volume 7, "Arabian Nights (and Days)", and loved it as much as the previous volumes. Despite the huge cast, Willingham does a great job of sorting everyone out.....all the while expanding the scope of his world. Quite an accomplishment.

Item 2: Glad to hear I'm not alone on my non-plussed reaction to the announced All-Star Batgirl. I know fan-fave Geoff Johns is slated to write it, but I don't understand why the character would get All-Star treatment before, say, The Flash (my hoped-for fourth All-Star title). Just when I think DC's got it together, they announce bizarre stuff like this.

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Fables is clearly superior and only gets better!

12:34 PM  
Blogger thekelvingreen said...

Marvel Adventures Avengers is like a proper Avengers title! Yikes!

I loved the Masters of Evil issue. Brilliant stuff. But only selling about 1.5k, while Bendis' cackery sells a hundred times that. Criminal.

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've only been harping MA:A ever since it came out -.-

Bandwagoner!

Err... Uh... Nice to have you on board.

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Y: the Last Man is really better in trades but can not stand up next to Fables. Neat idea, while Fables is just Wow.

Marvel Adventures: Avengers mentions Air Wolf, for heavens' sake. How can it not be awesome?

And Omega Flight? OMEGA? And this will fool who?

9:44 PM  
Blogger thekelvingreen said...

Yeah, MA:A actually references Dave's Long Box! That's Airwolf!

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home