Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Immediate Readership Assistance Requested

Alright kids, I've got exactly 6 hours before I buy comics today, and I need the collected wisdom of 2GBC readership to decide for me on three comics I'm on the fence about:

1) Ghost Rider #1: While flaming-skull demons in leather who wield chains and spikes atop a vintage motorcycle as the avatar of Vengeance with a capital "V" is undeniably ass-kicking as a concept, for some reason (probably the Gawd-awful Essential I read) the stench of "sucky comics" seems to emanate from this title the way Poison Ivy's leg razor probably smells like fresh-cut grass. To buy or not to buy?

2) Scarlet Traces: The Great Game #1 (of 4): I never read the first series, which was apparently about a war between Great Britain and Mars, in some sort of War of the Worlds-type vein. But this looks intriguing, because A) it's a 4-issue mini, thus not a long-term strain on the wallet, B) it's an alternate future/history, which is so up my alley it's actually been renamed "Chris Alley", and C) the solicit includes this line : "Sequel to the best comic book of all time, Scarlet Traces", which...you know. The sheer attitude of that line just makes me happy. To buy or not to buy?

3) Revere #1 (of 4): Look, they had me at the line "Paul Revere fights werewolves", OK? Plus, it's another mini I could easily dump if it goes south. On the other hand, the whole [Insert Random Historical Figure Here] fights [Insert Random Mythical Beast Here] formula could probably generate about six zillion different miniseries that I would want to read, including "Theodore Roosevelt fights Unicorns", "Jean-Paul Sartre fights the Harpy Queen", and "William Randolph Hearst vs. Zeus", so my impulse to buy Revere is obviously not based on anything rational. To buy or not to buy?

11 Comments:

Blogger Guy LeCharles Gonzalez said...

0-3 on these, but Revere looks like it might be fun. I don't trust Alias to see anything through to completion, though, so it'd be a wait-for-the-trade for me anyway.

Times like this, I grab a TPB I've had my eye on.

6:59 AM  
Blogger CalvinPitt said...

Well, I'm going to buy Ghost Rider #1. I probably shouldn't, ater all, Daniel Way is the reason I gave up on Wolverine, but that Garth Ennis mini-series really stoked me up for some Spirit of Vengeance action.

So I'll buy it, and we'll see how it goes.

7:16 AM  
Blogger BIG MIKE said...

I agree. None of them sound appealing. Revere sounds like the best of the bunch. Normally, I would buy Ghost Rider but I just can't give Marvel the satisfaction of thinking that I'm excited about Nicolas Cage.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Randy said...

Buy NONE of them. Ever. Not even in trades. Go dump your money in useful books, like Daredevil and Manhunter. Yeah, that's it.

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BUY GHOST RIDER!

Seriously buy it

I've read the preview and it has everything I wanted. Plus as a first issue it sets up a story that could run for at least 25 issues.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Jake said...

I've learned the rule with Daniel Way seems to be "give him a sucky first issue." His weakness seems to be in getting something started. Eventually, I've really enjoyed what I've read of his stuff, but the first issue always leaves me wanting.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Big AL said...

Unless Mignolas drawing 'scarlet traces', I say shitcan the lot of 'em

9:50 AM  
Blogger Markus said...

agree, don't buy any of them.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Guy LeCharles Gonzalez said...

Times like this, I grab a TPB I've had my eye on.

Which is exactly what I did, picking up Iron West, an Image OGN Zilla tipped me off about.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Big AL said...

wait, I change my answer. just checked otu 'scarlet traces' on DH.com looks good. pick it up.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

It's too late, I know, but the first Scarlet Traces was excellent, Kingdom of the Wicked (by the same creative team) was excellent, and this should be too. That's just my opinion, though.

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home