Wednesday, September 21, 2005

A Fine New Comic Day

Ten Books. All new books even. This was a good week. I want all my weeks like this. Well, comic-wise that is. Briefly, I liked all the books. I was mildly surprised. Reviews forthcoming, with hopefully no spoilers.


Day of Vengeance #6 of 6
Chapter Six: The Death of Magic

I read this, and didn't know what to think at first. Big events? Yep. Handled right? After thinking about it some, yes. Not sure how a couple of specifics are going to work out, but hopefully all will be revealed? Do we get the big showdown between Spectre and Shazam (not Marvel, but the Wizard himself?) Yes we do, and I liked it. The ShadowPact took more of a back seat in this one, and then the sparks really flew. I will tell you one thing: the Death of Magic is not what you were expecting. I didn't know what to think, but I like what they did with it. It was a nice twist, and should carry through into many stories, and they should be pretty good. Does it play into Crisis? I don't think it should. I think this should stay separate- that is how good I think that this storyline could play out.
Characters: Nightshade and Black Alice strut themselves quite well. I would like to see more of Nightshade. I am pleased by the fact that I won't have to see Detective Chimp anymore. We will see Eclipso again. No "trident-thru-the-stomach" this time around.

Overall: 4/5. I really hope they carry this through other titles. And it would not have to be one series. This could go through random books for a couple of years. Very nice setup.


Supergirl #2
Power Chapter Two: Teen Titans

I get to see the dumbass, cocky Superboy get hit. Need I say more? I bought Issue 1, and the story arc kinda peaked my interest. Issue 2 has continued that trend. Now its just something I want to see through and how it turns out. Don't ya sometimes just hate that? I have never read the Teen Titans. However, they were well played out here. They were well drawn. As a matter of fact, the book was well drawn. And we get to see some of them smacked down too. I like how Supergirl keeps drawing from here "Lessons 101" from Paradise Island. Her narration is far more entertaining the Superman's in his books. This keeps it entertaining. This book does not make me want to start reading the Teen Titans either, and I am just fine with that.
It comes with two covers. I was happy buying one. The one shown to the left (or above I guess) works just for me. If I want a posing Supergirl, I can always buy the poster.

Overall: 3/5. The book/story is still developing, but it is going in the right direction. Don't let the "3" rating keep ya away. Give it a try.


Manhunter # 14
Manhunted Part 4: The Devil Inside

This book has lost some of its edge. Now granted, I have missed a few issues, the trial issues from like 8-11 or something like that, so I may just be a little lost because of this. It seemed very refreshing when it first started. She is not a hero by "teaching" or creed or whatever drives/motivates them. She just wants to get rid of bad guys, one way or another. She seems to be coming more into mainstream though, and its taking away the books edge. I do like Dylan, I think he seems to have adapted very well as the "volunteered sidekick" and doesn't pull any punches himself. She knows the suit is her whole shtick, and she plays that up alot. And she always needs that cigarette. Nice touch.

It was edgy when she played more of the vigilante and hid it from everyone. It was in opposition to her daily routine as a D.A. And she is an everyday person you might meet on the street, with no training in martial arts, or high powered brain functions. She puts on a suit, takes her power stick, and goes out and about.

The OMAC tie in was too feeble to even bother. This should be a stand-alone book and outside of OMAC. But I guess EVERY book will need an OMAC tie in. Even though it won't need it. Heck, they'll probably find a way to have an OMAC in the upcoming Jonah Hex.

Overall: 3/5. I want to give this book hope still. Maybe if I catch up on the back story, it will flow better.

I have more to review, opionize, whatever we want to call it. I'll send some more out tomorrow. I'm tired now.

Enjoy all

Randy

1 Comments:

Blogger thekelvingreen said...

The Death of Magic in Day of Vengeance? I don't suppose that John Constantine has popped up at all to protest? No? Thought not. Stupid DC.

Not a big fan of Supergirl to be honest, but I do like the hints that she might be more powerful than Superman. I really don't expect them to keep that, but it'd be nice.

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home