Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand We're Back!
Hey howdy all! Good --- no, GREAT --- to be back. Darn that comicsblogoweb: you just can't count on anyone to stay dead anymore, can you?
Anyway, expect the usual nonsense around here: reviews and commentary, merciless dissection of the steaming piles that issue forth from the Mouths O' Quesada N' DiDio, and other random bits of ephemera. We also have a couple three new recurring features that I lifted wholeheartedly and unashamedly from some other non-comics related blogs.
(Yes, I just used the word 'ephemera'. 2 Guys Buying Comics got a Word-Of-The-Day calendar, and dammit, we're going to get our money's worth out of that mother.)
Big thanks to those who posted about our return as well, and those who wished us well in the comments below; your support, shameless plugging, and small-bill donations are what keeps us going (sniff).
And so, while I digest all the comics I bought today --- roughly about a month's worth, and it clocked in at damn near a hundred bucks --- I thought we'd kick things off in a typically 2GBCian way, with some random thoughts. Mainly because I don't want to have to sort out what came out yesterday and what didn't for review purposes. That's Randy's gig this week.
(Yes, I also just used the word '2GBCian'. 2 Guys Buying Comics also got a Make Your Own Word Of The Day Kit. We are also going to get our money's worth out of that mother. 2GBC is all about the efficient consumerism, yo.)
1) Of course, I bought the first two issues of the Iron Man: Hypervelocity miniseries, silly! While on the surface it seems to be yet another "Stark loses control of sentient-y armor" tale, it's notable for two reasons. A) It's an Extremis-less, non-Civil-War Iron Man story, and B) the art is really quite good. Brian Denham's work in this reminds me of a poor man's Brian Hitch. No, really. Plus, I lurve the armor design (more rounded surfaces).
2) It's been said before, many times and many ways, but I'll echo it here: Annihilation was (to paraphrase) 10 kinds of awesome in a 6 issue sack. Thanks to Keith Giffen for that fleeting return to 80's cosmic Marvelocity. Plus: SpaceKnights! (No ROM, but we did see Starshine.)
3) Detective Comics continues to be exactly what I want in a Batman comic, with nice art by Don Kramer to boot. And killer covers by Simone Bianchi.
4) That Dr. Strange miniseries is waiting for me, but I've decided to digest them all at once when it's finished. In a related note, not even throwing Dr. Strange in the Newer Avengers will get me to buy that comic. I hear they're fighting (yawn) ninjas again.
5) On the flip side, God help me I might actually buy the first issue of Mighty Avengers. Don't look at me like that! Stop it. The lineup's good (except of course, for that damn Sentry lunk), and it'll be interesting to see if Bendis really can pull off what he describes as an "all-action"comic. No, I'm not holding my breath either.
6) And here I thought that after being gone for two months I would come back and Civil War and Ultimates 2 would be all wrapped up. The lesson, as usual: I am such a moron.
7) Finally dropped Green Lantern (more about that next week), mainly because I'm having such a better time with Green Lantern Corps. Start buying it people, if only because GLC has "cancellation" written all over it, and the buying habits of the comics world should obey my every whim.
8) What the hell's going on with Wonder Woman? Way to blow momentum, DC.
9) I don't believe that in the past year I've read any comic from Boom! Studios that wasn't at the very least average. Most of them are good. A couple were great. But not a single one I'd call bad. That's a pretty nice track record, I think.
10) Hawkman's back!.....in the JSA. More about this on Monday, and why it makes me sad.