Thursday, January 05, 2006

Random Thoughts From Chris

Culled from the transom of my mind, I now present random thoughts:

  • I had forgotten how goosebump and awe-inspiring John Williams' theme to Superman was. I just listened to it again, and my goodness. If it's been awhile, listen to it ASAP. If that song doesn't just lift your spirits then you need your pulse checked.
  • For some strange reason, I was casting the inevitable Green Lantern movie in my head. It's probably been done a thousand times on a thousand blogs, but for some reason I see Matthew McConaghey as Hal Jordan. I have no idea why. (And no, it's not the bourbon talking. Otherwise I would have also suggested Omar Epps as John Stewart, Luke Wilson as Kyle Rayner, and I'll leave the Guy Gardner casting up to Jake. OK, maybe it is the bourbon talking.)
  • My beloved wife at my behest bought me Watchmen for Christmas. No, not the ridiculously priced $75 edition, the plain trade paperback. It's much better now than it was when I first read it, oh, maybe 15 years ago. It's not The Greatest Comic Work Ever, but it's good. And that's all you're getting out of me on that subject, because the last thing the comicsblogoweb needs is another 40,000 word article on Watchmen.
  • I have a post in the works about Batman, but I'm not sure how to frame it. The basic idea is that in my experience the best Batman stories for maybe the last 10 years or so have all been Elseworlds stories and what that implies. More to come on this soon.
  • The single best way to kill blog traffic is to have an entire week of awards that are only meaningful to yourself the first week of the new year. Har!
  • All-Star Batman and Robin is such a grease fire of a comic.
  • I'm reading Essential Tomb of Dracula. Holy Freakin' Shit, that's a good comic. I had no idea. I am stupid for never having read it.
  • Speaking of which, Gene Colan is the single greatest comics artist ever, and no one --- I mean, NO ONE --- will ever convince me otherwise. You simply do not get linework and facial expressions like that anymore.
  • I'm starting to feel inadequate as a blogger; there have been some pretty heavy topics going around the comicsblogoweb the last week or so, but the opinions have been so eloquent and defining that I feel I have nothing to contribute to the conversation. I'll stick to reviews and dissertations on why Batman's yellow oval on the chest looked a gajillion times better than the current boring black bat. (It does. It's #12 of the Immutable Laws of Comics, right up there with Law #28, The Phantom Stranger Is Inherently Cool.)

Back tomorrow!

11 Comments:

Blogger James Meeley said...

Dude, I could have told you Tomb Of Dracula was the shee-ot! Wolfman and Colan doing horror is just one of those awesome teams that we just don't see anymore.

I'd love to get an original page from the series by Colan. Just ONE. What an awesome thing of beauty it would be.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Ragnell said...

Luke Wilson for Kyle?

Hmm... Can't see it. But I may just be locked into the idea that he's younger. I always figured Kyle should look younger than he actually is, and actually be younger than most of the other DC characters.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Ragnell said...

That, and I don't think he has the butt for it.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Ragnell,

I erred grievously. I should have done the proper thing and consulted you for the Kyle Rayner role. Any thoughts?

8:54 PM  
Blogger thekelvingreen said...

What's a "grease fire"?

I looked at Essential Tomb of Dracula vol 4 in the bookshop the other day. Great stuff, but then all of Marvel's b/w stuff was. Is there an Essential Master of Kung Fu yet?

9:19 PM  
Blogger James Meeley said...

I've always thought the role of Kyle rayner in a GL movie should go to Nick Stahl from Terminator 3 and Sin City fame, or Josh Dushamel (I know I'm probably getting his last name wrong) from tv's Las Vegas.

I especially lean more towards Nick Stahl, after his role in T3, as he came off very much like a the reluctant hero who suddenly has the responsibility of the world thrown in his lap.

But, that's just my choice.

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the reason for the yellow oval. It's a target, thats fantastic.

11:52 PM  
Blogger Jhunt said...

While the art on Tomb of Dracula is admittedly the bizomb, I'm finding, as I slog my way through Essential ToD vol. 1, that the plotting is so removed from logic as to be hilarious.

I detailed my concerns about one issue in particular here.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Kelvin: a "grease fire" is a term that refers to a kitchen fire that uses grease as a fuel, resulting in an incredibly sprawling, hot, out-of-control and hard to put out absolute mess of chaos and destruction. And I don't mean that in a good way.

Jhunt: You're absolutely right, logic gets farther and farther away the more issues I read. But I'm so fully engaged with the characters at this point that I just view it as a TV show, kind of like "The Fugitive", where you've got the same cast of characters each week and the only real difference is what stretch of logic or circumstance they'll pull out to ensure that the chase continues next week.

Good stuff, IMHO.

8:44 AM  
Blogger thekelvingreen said...

Ah, I see. I thought as much. Sort of your Colonial equivalent of the chip pan fire. Yes, I can see why you might describe ASB&R in those terms.

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could see John C. McGinley (Dr. Cox from Scrubs, etc) playing Hal.

He has the right head shape. Draw a green mask on him, and he's Hal. Might be too old, he's pushing 50. On the other hand, he does the voice for the Atom on JLU.

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home