Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Runners Up, Volume 2

BEST INTERIOR ART: ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN
Mark Bagley didn't crack my top three (nor four for that matter), but I figured he deserved consideration for two reasons. The first came into focus for me a few weeks ago in my "Ultimate Omega Red" rant. I realized Bagley's art was 90% of the reason I was still putting up with the weak Ultimate Spider-Man stories.

Secondly, Bagley puts out twice as much art as any other penciller out there. Not only has he drawn every issue of the bi-weekly USM, he also manages to do a couple fill-ins throughout the year, as he did with Ultimate Iron Man most recently.

Bagley's art is clean and he manages to make sense of Spidey's acion sequences, which involve a lot of jumping, flipping, and bouncing around and can easily get confusing in the hands of less capable artists.

3 Comments:

Blogger Spencer Carnage said...

Mark Bagley is the man. I love New Warriors because of his work on the series alone. I got my eye on the thunderbolts trade which I should be purchasing in the next few weeks.

I must say, it would be nice to see him on a team book again..

11:57 AM  
Blogger thekelvingreen said...

They should let him have a pop at Not Avengers. He's used to working with Bendis, and he'd be no worse than David Finch.

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I would love USM if it weren't for Bagley's awful art. Everything looks grotesque and the faces change a lot from panel to panel; he's just really sloppy with proportions. Once in a while he'll draw a decent panel, but 97% of the time he's stuck somewhere between "weak" and "awful".

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home