Tuesday, December 20, 2005

10 Random Thoughts

A few random thoughts on an otherwise quiet Tuesday night at Casa De 2 Guys Buying Comics:

1) Hawkman sucked last week. I know Palmiotti and Gray are doing the best they can given that they've essentially had Rann-Thanagar Pile dropped on them, but it's too obvious that the issue before this one was meant to be the end of Hawkman in his current incarnation. Oh, well. At least we get Walt Simonson on the forthcoming Hawkgirl comic, which --- mark my words --- could go down in history as one of the classic runs. Keep an eye on this one, folks.

2) Hey, Warren Ellis and/or Adi Granov: feel free to drop Iron Man #5 on us anytime, kids. I know, I know, it's not like he's a Marvel A-lister with a dedicated fan base and an iconic history, but the lea---HEY! Bastards. See, now I feel bad, though, because between Fell, JLA:Classified, Ocean, and Desolation Jones, Ellis has actually had a pretty good year. (That doesn't get him off the hook for Iron Man, though, and even Ellis isn't going to get me to read the New Universe revamp/relaunch/whatever.)

3) Is anyone else distinctly uninterested in the "I Heart Marvel" February offerings?

4) Finally saw the Blue Beetle preview over at Newsarama. Meh.

5) I am hoping and praying that Joe Casey's Iron Man: The Inevitable series lives up to my expectations, which are pretty darn high. I think Casey's one of those writers that "gets it", though, and the fact that we'll actually see Iron Man fighting some of his classic villains is a very, very good thing.

6) Back to Ellis: Nextwave looks...different-ish. I am sold on at least issue 2, though, because of this cover:




It's the phrase that pays: "NEXTWAVE GETS THEIR LOVIN' FROM YOUR MAMA!" I love that to no end. It's the exclamation point that makes all the difference.

7) Interesting piece by Ragnell over at Written World discussing the Infinite Crisis/big hole in the galaxy. Definitely worth reading, but unfortunately I think she's right --- the Anti-Monitor's going to show up here soon.

8) OK, I'll ask: what the hell happened to 616 Nick Fury?!? In every other Marvel comic for the last two or three months, characters have been making comments like, "You don't want to end up like Fury", or "Fury's not around anymore, and you know darn well why". No, I don't! Please tell me! Did I miss something here? Is this not a big deal? Am I just the last to know?

9) I'm done with the Ultimates. More about this tomorrow. I'm already 99% sure that you're all going to think I'm insane.

10) I confess, I haven't read All-Star Superman, despite everyone (but Scipio) loving it. I simply have zero interest in Superman, and not even my bias towards Grant Freakin' Morrison can stoke any interest in the comic for me. Maybe I'm missing out, but if the consistently great reviews hold up, I may spring for the trade.

5 Comments:

Blogger CalvinPitt said...

My guess is that what happened to Nick Fury was Secret War. Whatever was supposed to be the heroes were doing in that book, it turned into a major foul-up and since Fury sent the heroes into Latveria(?), he has to fall on the sword. I don't know, he seemed alright in issue 31 of Wolverine.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh, for God's sake, don't tell me I need to read Secret War in order to find out what happened. I will now light myself on fire.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Markus said...

to spare you that terrible fate (reading SW, lighting yourself at least keeps you warm).
S
P
O
I
L
E
R


Fury sent them to Latveria to take care of the Latverian prime minister selling all kinds of weapons upgrades to bad people. They destroyed the place by earthquake (using new walking plot device woman) and afterwards wiped the heroes memories. Didn't work, that Latv. PM survived and came back to destroy NY harbour, after which Fury in turn had to resign and go into hiding.


/ S P O I L E R

4:36 AM  
Blogger thekelvingreen said...

I wasn't blown away by All-Star Superman either, so worry not.

And as these other fine fellows have already told you, the Nick Fury Mystery is solved in Secret War, which is of course a Bendis book. Bah. I've just had to read Spider-Woman: Origin for SBC, and it's dirty pool to the EXTREME!

Looking forward to Iron Man: the Inevitable myself, although it's more to do with the art than the writer or character.

8:06 AM  
Blogger thekelvingreen said...

Oh and I'm on board for Simonson's Hawkgirl, even though I have almost no interest in the character, and DC will lump crossover after crossover on it, ruining all narrative cohesion, like they always do. But it's bloody Simonson, and that buys it six issues at least.

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home