Wednesday, January 09, 2008

2007 Year In Review: DC Edition

This isn't going to take much time, mainly because, frankly, I didn't read a whole hell of a lot of DC comics this year --- at least, nothing that I hadn't been reading the year before.

So, what will I think of when I look back on DC in 2007?

1) Weekly series infecting the monthly books. Look, I don't know if 52 Countdowns To Crisis Infinity Finals has been successful or not (based on the fact that they're still making them, I'll say yes), but they've almost completely turned me off trying anything new in the DCU. I guess I'm just one of those weirdos who don't want a weekly series, particularly one that, by most accounts, treads water for a good deal of the time.

2) For the most part, I stayed with only a few titles all year from DC and completely ignored the "events". Green Lantern Corps, Jonah Hex, Detective Comics, Atom, and Checkmate continued to be my mainstays... and looking at that list, I realize that I probably have the most boring-looking pull list of any DC customer ever.

3) I did discover two wonderful additions this year, though --- Birds of Prey, both with and without Simone, and Flash, which (was) back and better than ever with Mark Waid back on the book.

4) I continued to lament the lack of a solo Hawkman book, but I think at this point I just need to get over it.

5) Wonder Woman's off to a good start, too.

So, my hope for DC in 2008?

Give me a reason to read your books. Make me want to read Superman, JLA, and all the rest, except for Teen Titans.

Drop the high-concept stuff --- just for a little while --- and let folks who can't tell Earth-43 from Earth-12 into your rich, dynamic universe.

Keep it simple, and don't be afraid to crack a smile now and then. You've got an incredible stable of writers, let them write.

And don't let Grant Morrison get his way too often around there --- that way lies madness.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Adam F. said...

I share your sentiments. Dini's run on Detective has been the exact kind of tone I'm ultimately looking for in the comics I read. As for Mr. Morrison, I think he should be forced to write up one of his crazy ideas instead of passing it onto others. But, I'd much prefer him to back off and let the individual writers explore their books.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home