Thursday, June 07, 2007

The Interwebs Are Kewl

Our four regular readers have noticed that there's been yet again another unannounced lack of updates, for which I am sorry. I can only offer up in my defense that:

A) Real-life demands more attention than Comicsblogoweb-life sometimes, and

B) For the past month or so comics? Have been the opposite of compelling. I mean, they're not horrible, but there's nothing especially good or bad, either, and that doesn't exactly fire up the ol' creative juices.

Other than that, some random items:

1) The Pop-Culture-Palooza went considerably less well than expected. After carrying the day with categories such as "Rap Music" and "Adam West's Batman", our team took some hits with "Mel Brooks Movies" and "Fighting Video Games". On the plus side, I got to meet Greg Burgas from Comics Should Be Good and Delenda Est Carthago, and I'm delighted to report that he's every bit as personable and loudly dressed as you'd expect from his writing.

2) Fun Site I'm A Latecomer To: X-Entertainment, which is a trove of pop culture-itis with a decidedly 80's geek tilt.

3) Assuming that you're interested, two other hugely popular quality non-comics blogs that I can recommend: Deadspin for the sports enthusiast and Wonkette for the politico in all of us.

4) Along those lines, I've been seriously thinking about starting a non-comics side blog to allow me to write about, er, non-comics stuff.

On the one hand, it may come as no surprise to y'all that I do in fact have a bunch of opinions about other things that would seem out of place here; on the other hand, I can barely keep the pumps running around here lately.

Any thoughts as to what I should do? The benefits of keeping said off-topic thoughts here, of course, is that I have a built-in audience of our four regular readers. What say you, comicsblogoweb?

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Guy LeCharles Gonzalez said...

That's a tough call there, but I'd lean towards keeping a separate blog and maybe having some occasional bleed-through in both directions. I had a similar issue a few months back and ended up consolidating my several different blogs down to two: one on PCS for comics and related pop culture stuff, and one on Vox for poetry, politics and other more personal stuff.

As for Burgas, LOL! First time I saw his picture on his personal blog, I was impressed by how much he actually looked like his writing. Glad to know he's not a jerk in person.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me, I like the bleed-through of non-comics thoughts, and I wish I was doing a bit more of it myself, these days. But then that's me.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

"Loudly dressed"? I'm glad I didn't wear my yellow Mr. Potato Head shirt. I shudder to think what you would have done with that!!!!

I hope you'll join up for the next one, as Jake claims it will be in December. Maybe it will be better organized.

I'm not sure what "looking like my writing" means, but it sounds complimentary, so I'll take it.

I would definitely do a different blog and keep the comics on this one. It's just easier.

5:19 PM  
Blogger Allen Varney said...

A tightly focused blog has better search-engine karma and offers better signal-to-noise ratio for a given reader's definition of "noise." I suggest starting a new blog.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Keep comics clean of other thoughts theres enough confusion in comics....

in all seriousness having seperate ones i think would be better

8:36 PM  
Blogger joncormier said...

Well, I started up Ottawa Beige to be a catch all for the rest of the thoughts I wanted to get on paper. If you've ever been to Ottawa you'll understand the title. I asked a few friends to join in as well but I tend to hog all the posts.

5:38 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

I barely have enough of an attention span to take care of two separate children, much less blogs, but if you can do it, more power to you.

To be honest, I don't mind the bleed through so much as I've found I tend to enjoy similar music/movies as people I share comics tastes with. Although, if you're going to get into politics or non-media related things, you may be better off separating them.

Irregardless, I'll probably end up reading wherever you post.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Guy LeCharles Gonzalez said...

@Burgas: Of course it was complimentary, since you know I like your writing!

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home