Friday, April 06, 2007

Say It Isn't So, Gail

Alright, in perusing the boards and news out there in comicland, what do I happen to hit?

Gail Simone is leaving Birds of Prey.

I gave this book a whirl way back when, and was hooked immediately by Gail's writing.
And now, XX years and issues later, I am a diehard fan of Gail.

This book is her flagship. I hate to see her leave it.

I will give the new writer Sean McKeever a chance on the writing duties. It still has a great cast of characters, and many stories to still be told. It will still have Niccola Scott on art chores, so that is a bonus also.

What is that major, new, longly desired project that Gail will be working on soon?
Oh my, the rumours are abuzz already.
I've seen:

Wonder Woman
JLA
Secret Six
Blackhawks

Any truth? Who knows. We'll see when we see.

I will say that Secret Six and the Blackhawks should stay as minis, or one-shots, or appearances in other books. I would hate to see them as ongoings. The Secret Six have worked wonderfully as they have to date, and I think an ongoing would spoil the "feel".

Wonder Woman writers currently appear to be short-lived (THANK GOODNESS) and Gail might be able to breathe some fresh air into a character that REALLY needs it!!

JLA: Chris' hopes lie here.

I will not offer speculation.

Gail, if you are reading- I hope you get a rocking project- you know that I"ll be on board! Hate to see ya leaving BoP, but its been a great run with you onboard.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

But... but... I just subscribed! Like a WEEK AGO! AARRRRRGGH!

(sigh)

Yeah, I'm hoping against all odds for JLA. At this point, though, she could write Yellow Pages: Local Government Listings and I'd preorder. She's that good.

12:08 PM  
Blogger thekelvingreen said...

I suspect Simone's been having problems on BoP. DC left it alone, almost forgotten for years, but they've muscled in of late, amking it more editorially-driven, and I'd guess she's chafed at that (as I would). All speculation, mind.

They'll probably put her on Wonder Woman, if only because none of the male writers seem to have any idea what to do with the character, so maybe a female perspective will work.

I don't read any DC stuff anyway, so I don't care much either way.

2:38 PM  
Blogger thekelvingreen said...

She did a run on that JLA spinoff book (Classified, was it?) and that wasn't particularly well-received, so they may not want to give her a run at the main book.

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All my money's on her going to Wonder Woman. No other character matches up with her gushing about getting to write a lifelong favorite character. Somehow, "Blackhawks" doesn't seem like something Simone's been chomping at the bit to write since childhood.

It's Wonder Woman. Of course it's Wonder Woman.

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home