Friday, February 16, 2007

Nextwave, R.I.P.

So, Nextwave: Agents of Hate is over.

And I am a sad, sad man.

Regardless of whether it was your cup of tea or not, Nextwave is notable to me for 3 reasons:

1) It was a comic that my non-comics reading friends looked forward to reading. Actual quote: "I had no idea comics could be funny." (And yes, that says more about him than it does the comic, but still... you get the point.)

2) Warren Ellis combined with the sweet, sweet Stuart Immonen art, turned his famous dislike for superheroes into, ironically, an almost perfect 12-issue catalogue of exactly why we love superhero comics.

(Seriously. I may never get over that 6-page fight sequence in issue #11. Just awesome.)

3) Marvel still knows how to make fun of itself. Or at least, it knows when to get the hell out of the way and let someone else make fun of them. Especially if the dude making fun of you wrote Transmetropolitan.

Anyway. Issue 12 wrapped things up in grand fashion, and I must say that I've thoroughly enjoyed the entire ride.

Thanks, Warren. Thanks, Stuart. Thanks, Marvel.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

HERE HERE! I say to you HERE HERE!

No more comics I can color, no more Mark Millar Licks Goats, no more beating up corrupt policemen..but in a funny way, or Fin Fang Foom humor....I am saddened.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Randy said...

Good riddance! LOL

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home