Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Random Thoughts

---I take a 2 week break, and come back to find everyone gone corporate! Cronin, Burgas and the rest of 'em are now shacked up with CBR and The Great Curve is under the Newsarama umbrella. Congratulations to both, as both are truly excellent blogs that deserve a wider audience!

(I will take this opportunity to announce that 2 Guys Buying Comics will maintain the independent spirit of bloggery! Until someone knocks on our door offering big piles of cash, free swag, or loads more hits.)

---Did Casanova #1 by Matt Fraction come out last week and my LCS just missed it?

---IGN Power Rankings may in fact be the absolute dumbest piece of comics webbiness I have ever witnessed. Power rankings to see who's having more success...for fictional characters? Um, what? I just may have to unleash my hatchet job I wrote on that whole site. I swear, it's the comics equivalent of the drunk uncle at the wedding reception who slurs his way through a toast in which he lets slip that he once had relations with a donkey. (Hi, Googlers!) That's it. I'm doing it. I can no longer stand the dumbtardosity of that site. Watch for it on Friday.

---X-Men: The Last Stand. Saw it with Randy, and enjoyed it quite a bit, actually. I have no innate love for the X-Men, but I thought this movie had good action, a much better (and loads more filmable) rationale of the Phoenix than I expected, and they got Beast perfect. It also had the good manners to not overstay its welcome, clocking in at well under two hours. There's something to be said for that.

---Can we all officially agree that the Sentry is a character that doesn't ever need to be in another comic again ever? (Paul Jenkins, you get a vote too. It's OK, I won't tell anyone.)

---Team-Up Comics I Want To See Just For The Titles:

Green Lantern/Aquaman: Green Around The Gills
Shazam/Captain Marvel: Copyright Protection
Conan/Colossus: Axes and Alloys
Cyclops/Havok/Vulcan: Summers, You Moron!
Namor/Scarlet Witch: A Fish Called Wanda

---I'd like to remind everyone that JLA Classified: New Maps of Hell, by Warren Ellis, comes out in trade this week. I strongly urge anyone who even remotely likes the concept of the JLA to go buy this; it's the best JLA story I've read in years.

---Light week for me otherwise: I'm going to stick with Checkmate, since the last issue was much better than the first, and (sigh) Civil War. The real prize here though is the first issue of the ongoing Green Lantern Corps series.

9 Comments:

Blogger CalvinPitt said...

Well, if someone would pay me to blog, I'd take it, but I doubt people would give me cash to debate which Green Goblin was better.

Oh God yes, the Sentry needs to vanish, but not before the newly amped up Silver Surfer whomps on him.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

Asked and answered

10:22 AM  
Blogger joncormier said...

Who is this Sentry? I know he's not in Last Planet Standing and I'm done with Civil War even after declaring I'd give the whole series a try. I can't bring myself to buy issue 2 as of yet - we'll see tomorrow.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Steven: that's beautiful, man. Just beautiful. Once again, PAD to the rescue!

12:08 PM  
Blogger Steven said...

There's actually a pretty good issue behind that cover, too. A neat little done in one that nicely encapsulates some of the good stuff about the Post-Zero Hour DC, including a few "Kyle Rayner: ADULT!" moments to compliment the "Aquaman: BADASSss!" moments that PAD peppered his run with.

It also started the recurring joke that Kyle has a "Jaws" induced shark-phobia, but as far as I know Kyle has NEVER fought GL-foe The Shark, King Shark, or any shark-related or themed villains.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Thanks for the love, man. Although we're getting paid in dung beetles, so the payoff might not be that great.

If Casanova came out, I'll be peeved because I didn't get it either. I don't think it did, though. I'm sure someone would be proclaiming it the greatest thing ever.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Thanks, Kelly Sue! I'm really looking forward to that book.

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home